Issues with Solid from trunk and qtcreator 2.0.1...

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Nov 4 07:06:51 GMT 2010

On Thursday 4 November 2010 02:00:40 Dawit A wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Lukáš Tinkl <ltinkl at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Thanks, I'll look into it tomorrow... things can definitely get faster :)
>
> To that end I have consolidated all my local changes into a single
> patch and updated bug # 253039 with it. For me these changes even sped
> up even the command line tool, solid-hardware...

I'm not convinced we want the part of your patch which modifies the caching
logic of checkCache. It'll speed up a "listing everything" case indeed, but
it's likely to slow down the "listing by predicate" case which is way more
common.

We had to introduce a similar caching strategy in the HAL backend previously
exactly because of this. Now, the way we *fill* the cache in UDisksDevice is
far too slow, but it's a temporary measure done because of an issue with QDBus
I think.

@Lukas: This issue really need to be investigated ASAP. We have to place this
GetAll call. The way it's done currently through the metaobject kills the
performances as this one uses only Get calls (I checked QDBus code) so it
generates lots of round-trips on the bus.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net