KDE Geolocation Services

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 3 22:27:11 GMT 2010

On Wednesday, November 3, 2010, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2010-11-03, John Layt wrote:
> > The obvious backend solution is Geoclue, a freedesktop.org project which
> > is available on almost all distro's now, is used by Gnome, and is an
> > official part of the Meego platform.  The problem comes in the api to
> > access Geoclue, which is a DBus based service with C bindings, as we
> > would obviously prefer a Qt-ish C++ wrapper for convenience.
>
> What kind of problem do you have in mind regarding a service with a D-Bus
> API? There are already tons of these and they are using D-Bus as the
> primary API exactly because it allows developers on different technology
> stacks to use their preferred way of handling the protocol.

a) annoyance of using DBus directly
b) changes in the DBus API are out of our control.

that said, what dependencies does Geoclue have these days? it used to depend
on gconf, which would be a highly unfortunate dependency for kdelibs to
acquire. it was said a few years (!) back that this dependency would be easy
to remove and would likely be. has it been?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se