Freespacenotifier KDED module in kdereview

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon May 17 16:13:41 BST 2010

On Monday 17 May 2010 16:57:29 Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> I've a question about this module, as far as I can understand it polls  the
> disk on which $HOME is mounted every minute to check the available disk
> space.  This is something we carefully avoided to do in the plasma device
> notifier because by doing so we keep the disks awake instead of letting
> them sleep if unused if the user desires so. This module would probably
> upset laptop users, am I right? (ervin?)

Yes, definitely. This kind of stuff totally destroys power management for disks.
In general, the idea of polling for this kind of thing is just broken (though I
wouldn't know another way of doing the free space thing). Just to give you an
idea, polling the disk every minute (and thereby preventing its sleep) can easily
cost you about 10% of that precious battery life, just by keeping the disk
spinning.

Maybe disk quotas are what we're really looking for?

--
sebas