Opposition to removing old KWin themes?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 19:32:57 BST 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 8:14 PM, nuno pinheiro <nuno at oxygen-icons.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 25 July 2010 14:09:38 Aaron Peterson wrote:
>> Do we have user data on this, I mean where they are in a realistic
>> environment using it on a slow computer (because they are too poor to
>> pay for windows?)
>

> I have extreme serious doubts that the kwin themes make any visible cpu
> difference, calculating a gradient with qt is negligible work load for your
> cpu,
> the only kwin theme that is a bit more expensive is Aurorae but I would really
> be surprised if that would be more than negligible.

aurorae is probably slightly more hungry in memory and slightly slower
in resizes, not so noticeable on any reasonable system tough
other than that in most themes the job is mostly painting cached pixmaps.
and if they are ugly or pretty, there isn't much difference for the machine :)
there could be a slight difference (and yes still more applicable in
the case of a remote x11 session) but the biggest component is and
always will be a nice mental trick in the poor geek mind, that makes
pretty things automatically appear slower than ugly ones.

Cheers,
Marco Martin