NetAccess::statInternal and showing job progress

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Fri Jul 23 12:19:36 BST 2010

On Thursday 22 July 2010 20:04:36 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Still, "I'm checking if there's a file I'd be overwriting" is not something
> that the user needs to know. We might need feedback somewhere, but that
> should be "saving your file now" (and covering the complete process:
> stat'ing, transferring and saving), anything with finer granularity is not
> useful IMO. Likely, as Save is often fire and forget, we'd only need a
> warning if the file wasn't saved in the end, maybe a confirmation that the
> file is now on disk and you can happily pull the cable, or whatever.

I agree, but I need to think of ksnapshot again, which was the original cause
of this discussion IIRC, and which does (/did, before the fix) *not* only stat
to check whether the file would be overwritten, but also to increment the
counter at the end of the filename, no?

I don't want to be nitpicking, and this is certainly a slightly unusual case,
but checking for a file just to provide a default filename that would not
overwrite anything does not sound like a far-fetched use case for a (possibly
remote) stat(), either.

Have a nice day,
  Hans