A potentially serious bug in KIO/kio_http and a possible patch ??

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Sat Jul 17 18:11:10 BST 2010

On Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:19:31 Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> This patch looks wrong to me, as even in the limited case, you could
> potentially have the data that's already buffered fulfill the request
> entirely, can you not?

Nope and that is because in the limited case you already know the total size
of the content you are downloading ; so you actually know there is still
content left out there and readBuffered will do the right thing and send the
total bytes read in that case. I also made sure the patch does not cause
regression by checking if BR# 180631 works as before and it does...

The issue that caused the bug (180631) which you provided a fix for is a
chunked transfer where you cannot not really know you have gotten the whole
data until you receive EOF from the socket. To be frank, the patch is actually
a small performance improvement fix and not the actual bug fix for the Gmail
chat issue. The actual bug that causes that issue is somewhere in the
KIO::Connection class ; the point which the second portion of the send data
message never makes past. IOW, I actually discovered what readBuffered does by
accident while hunting for the source of the chat issue...

> Will look at other stuff later in the evening... Though I must say I
> am impressed you could trace down anything gmail-related to such a low
> level.

Believe me it was not by choice and if I did not have the source code to add a
lot of debug statements and see what is happening, I would never ever have
attempted this... Plus, I use Gmail chat  on occasions and nothing is more
motivating than when something you use breaks, right ;)

P.S. The patch I sent in the first email was incorrect. Make sure you try the
second one I sent...

Regards,
Dawit A.