Rekonq default

Sascha Peilicke sasch.pe at gmx.de
Sat Feb 20 15:03:24 GMT 2010

On Saturday 20 February 2010 15:43:57 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> hi friends,
>
> I have a nice history of starting flame wars. So to keep my reputation I'm
> proposing my next controversial thing.
>

> I propose to move rekonq to kdebase and make it the default browser
> for KDE SC 4.5
> konqueror should stay in kdebase for users who like it and want to use it.
> Thats more or less the same strategy we followed when we made dolpin the
> default file manager.
>
> rekonq has 2 advantages over konqueror:
>

> 1. userinterface
> the GUI of rekonq is more optimized for webbrowsing. it is simpler and more
> to the point of using the web. But also has advanced features like the
> speed dial or previews for tabs. I think it has a better GUI for most
> users compared with konqueror
>

> 2. rendering engine
> rekonq is using webkit which renders modern websites better than khtml.
> webkit is moving forward really fast at the moment. It is in fact the
> leading rendering engine if you look at HTML5 compliance or speed. We
> should benefit from that.
>

> rekonq is nicely integrated in KDE. Examples are kwallet and konqueror
> bookmarks.
>
> I think KDE SC really needs a state of the art webbrowser. It is
> embarrassing that a lot of distributions ship firefox as default nowadays.
> The rekonq developers are really active and the development speed is
> totally impressive IMHO. I think there are still features missing but
> Rekonq is already better than konqueror IMHO.
>
> So rekonq is a better browser for 80% of our users and should be default
> therefore.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers
> Frank

Having tested the latest rekonq release, I'm all for it. Currently, switching
rendering engines in Konqi is tedious (and crashy) but necessary, as KHTML
works better with it but webkit renders more pages. En plus, rekonq is
simpler UI- and functionality-wise, which is a good thing.

Maybe there should be a public poll about this?

p.s.: It would need a better name though, "rekonq" is an insider pun.
--
Sascha Peilicke
http://saschpe.wordpress.com