Review Request: Add "Open With" actions to KFileDialog context menu [via KDirOperator]

Shaun Reich predator106 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 19:34:53 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Charly Ghislain <charlyghislain at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Friday 29 January 2010 00:31:41 Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > agreed; what exactly are the use cases for this? right now, i don't see
> > any.
> As i  don't see anyone pointing it out, let me add one.
>
> While images are easily previewed, some documents are not and needs to be
> opened in an application to get an idea of the contents if the filename
> doesn't reflect them. And if the dialog is there to select a file and send
> it
> to all my collegas over jabber, i want to make sure I don't send them the
> wrong one.
>
> But i also think that since the user is presented with a filemanager view,
> we
> should allow him to 'Oh? what is this file there? I don't remember that
> file,
> let me see it.'
> I think some people will get frustrated not finding some of their
> filemanager
> features there, especially since dolphin might look quite alike.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charly

I agree. Although I disagree with the "images are easily previewed" bit,
partially. Sometimes having a tiny window to preview an image you want to
open(or whatever), is not enough to see what the image actually is or what
it contains, especially when you are using very high resolution images.

I especially agree with your take on text files. To be completely honest,
previewing text files (in that preview pane and otherwise) is not useful to
me, even remotely. The only contents you can see from e.g. source files,
header files, are the license headers. I do not know, perhaps I expect it to
do too much?

--
KDE Developer,
Shaun Reich