Action icons in menus

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Dec 14 15:11:10 GMT 2010

On 14.12.10 15:52:39, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 December 2010, David Jarvie wrote:
> > On Monday 13 December 2010 20:32:30 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > 5. There is no space to show the shortcut (i.e. Ctrl+C for Copy)
> >
> > IMO, this is a very important drawback. There would then be no easy
> > way for users who didn't know the keyboard shortcut for these
> > actions to discover it.
>
> Is this really a serious problem? Looking up a shortcut is really easy
> via Settings->Configure Shortcuts and it's not as if all of our

Thats not "easy" thats cumbersome. Especially with bigger plugin-based apps
that have a few dozen shortcuts.

> shortcuts where "documented" in some menu anyway. Probably half of
> KMail's shortcuts do not correspond to any menu entries (but of course
> KMail is a bit special). And in Konqueror I had to lookup the shortcut
> for Force Reload under Configure Shortcuts.
>
> A third argument against is that people using the menu will most likely
> continue doing so.

I disagree. If I approach a new app the menu is what helps me find my way
to the things I need. At the same time I'm able to learn the shortcuts
easily so at some point I'm using the shortcuts more and more instead of
the menu. In particular I can learn the shortcut while doing the work,
instead of sitting down and staring at the configure-shortcuts dialog for
an hour.

You're right though for people not willing/used to use shortcuts, those
will always go through the menu no matter how often they read or get told
about the shortcut.

Andreas

--
A day for firm decisions!!!!!  Or is it?