Action icons in menus

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Dec 14 14:52:39 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 14 December 2010, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Monday 13 December 2010 20:32:30 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > 5. There is no space to show the shortcut (i.e. Ctrl+C for Copy)
>
> IMO, this is a very important drawback. There would then be no easy
> way for users who didn't know the keyboard shortcut for these
> actions to discover it.

Is this really a serious problem? Looking up a shortcut is really easy
via Settings->Configure Shortcuts and it's not as if all of our
shortcuts where "documented" in some menu anyway. Probably half of
KMail's shortcuts do not correspond to any menu entries (but of course
KMail is a bit special). And in Konqueror I had to lookup the shortcut
for Force Reload under Configure Shortcuts.

A third argument against is that people using the menu will most likely
continue doing so. So for them the shortcut is totally irrelevant. In
fact, it's superfluous information that clutters the menu. And for those
that are really interested in the shortcut it's also superfluous
information as soon as they have learned the shortcut.

I agree that it's often nice to see the shortcuts, but given my first
two points I don't think it's a serious problem if the shortcuts are
missing.

Regards,
Ingo