Review Request: KProtocolManager patch to allow componenets to define their own default user-agent string

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Tue Apr 13 17:10:06 BST 2010

On Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:59:33 Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> > I have also updated what information gets sent along with the default
> > string to match the other major browsers. Before only the OS type was
> > sent. With this patch OS type, platform, machine type and language
> > information will be sent by default.
>
> That's a bad idea. See bug 228831 as to why.

Not really... Check out the following url for yourself

https://panopticlick.eff.org/

but I have no problem of dropping the change to the DEFAULT_USER_AGENT_KEYS
#define portion of this patch, though there is a lot more pertinent information
being sent than what I am suggesting be enabled here.

Anyhow, one has to always play the balancing act of protecting privacy vs
proper functionality of sites which is unfortunate... I know more than few
sites that will not function properly when the current default user agent
string is used...

Regards,
Dawit A.