KDE and Polkit, take 2

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 15 17:39:20 BST 2009

On October 15, 2009, Dario Freddi wrote:
> By the time KDE 4.5 will be out we will be moving polkit-qt-0.9 out of
> kdesupport, somewhere like gitorious, pull the polkit-1 support package
>  into workspace and place in extragear or somewhere the current
>  PolicyKit-kde directory. We will switch preferences in KAuth backends, so
>  that we can deprecate completely polkit-0.9, but still provide some people
>  the possibility of running it.

would it make sense to keep both backends and the UI integration code for both
together in kdelibs/kdebase and just conditionally build one or the other
depending on whether 0.9 or 1.0 are on the system? that would make it a lot
easier, i would imagine, for both those who are working on systems with 0.9
and those with 1.0 as it would eliminate the need to run around finding bits
of code in extragear or wherever?

> P.S.: If anyone was wondering how to make kde programs using KAuth using
> polkit-1 when the backend will come, just clean your build, uninstall your
> KDE

it should only be necessary to replace libkdecore, no? the rest should remain
just fine? or are there files elsewhere that need updating (e.g. policy
files)?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se