KDE/kdelibs

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Nov 26 15:53:02 GMT 2009

Hi,

Jeudi. le 26 november 2009, à 15:07, Luciano Montanaro a écrit:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > The only way to change that, is talk to your module coordinator and
> > establish a rule in your module that it must be compilable and work with
> > the current stable release of kdelibs&co. Of course that also means
> > having to wait another 6 months before being able to use the newest
> > features from kdelibs.
>
> Yes. I think that would be acceptable, but what about a compromise?
> Let's say, release kdelibs+kdebase-runtime every 6 months, and the
> rest of the modules every 6 months too, with an initial offset of 3
> months. This makes life much easier for application developers, since
> they can develop against a stable library base. And it helps keeping
> binary compatibility working, too, since the libs developers would
> test against stable applications.

Just that new features need testing and feedback before they get stable. But
if all application developers just wait for the stable version it simply will
never get stable.
So new features and code using these features need to be developed in sync for
best feedback. I think so far this has worked very well for all the modules
which are part of the SC.
Then there are the BIC monday concept and hopefully soon Allen's rules for new
dependencies to make life in trunk less surprising. It just needs everyone
following them :)

Cheers
Friedrich
--