device-automounter moved to kdereview

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:50:19 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 02:15:20 Trever Fischer wrote:

> > > I believe we need to get rid of the UDIs and provide some more not just
> > > user-friendly, but "human-friendly" strings.. Having to deal with them
> > > even in some cases is not really acceptable. I'll try to have a look into
> > > this to see how we can sort this out
> >
> > Just quickly playing with the solid minibrowser I have a few suggestions
> >
> > First of all, show whichever icon solids give to the device, it really
> >  really helps to figure out what we are talking about even before we start
> >  reading.
> >
> > The volume property info.product is quite uninformative (usually
> >  Volume(ext3)), but if you jump back to the closest relative which has a
> >  info.product property you will find quite interesting things, such as
> >  ExpressCard, or stuff like that.
> >
> > Then I'd compose a string with the following field (with parent I mean the
> >  closest device in the hierarchy which has the infos required)
> >
> > parent.info.vendor parent.info.product volume.info.product (size)
> > Some real-life examples:
> >
> > Seagate FreeAgent Go Backup_HD (160 Go)
> > ST325082 0A MediaHD (250 Go)
> > Lexar ExpressCard ssdhome (5 Go)
> > Lexar ExpressCard ssdroot (3 Go)
> > SD02G Volume (ext3) (2 Go) (with SD icon)
> > Kingston FCR-HS219/1 MicroSD (2 Go) (I'm cheating here... MicroSD is the
> >  volume label)
> >
> > Still, as you can see there's room for improvement, in particular the
> >  second guy was giving quite debatable information about itself (however
> >  still better than /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_ECBF_30CC)
> >
> Nonetheless a good idea. I added it to the GUI.

Ok, now this looks much better; what about this, now, to make it look even better;

If (and only if) there exists more than one volume with the same parent, group them with the parent;
then the parent will be shown with vendor() and product() and total size (should be available with storage.removable.media_size) and then each child (partition) would just show description() and size
This is visually better since it removes redundant information for partitions of the same drive. and makes it easier to browse.

On the other hand, if a volume is an only child, then don't add another node and use the long description we talked about yesterday.

Also, imho the informations should be refreshed even if it's already present in the .rc file whenever possible; besides; who is responsible to fill in the devices in the .rc file? the daemon I suppose; would it be possible to save the pretty name we have found for our device at the daemon level? so that whenever you connect the drive, the user would find it with its pretty name in the disconnected devices node as well. Having it set up at the daemon level could make the kcm part merely read it from the .rc since it will be automagically updated.

Moreover, I believe that the Add device button is useless; nobody would really enter the udi of a device.

Nice job!
@Albert, what  do you think about the ui fixes?