KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Nov 2 08:28:01 GMT 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009, nf2 wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Stefan Majewsky <majewsky at gmx.net> wrote:
> > KFilePlacesModel in fact looks more versatile to me than the GVFS
> > mounts.
>
> If you - for instance - use a KDE application on Gnome it doesn't help
> how versatile this model is. It just sucks that it's different, there
> are things missing, the naming of the items is different, the icons,
> the ordering and so on... when you click on "Network", something
> completely different appears. If you want to work with this system,
> this kind of individualism is as useful as a chocolate teapot.
>
> The same thing is true the other way round - for Gtk+ apps on KDE, of
> course...

So, IOW, your patch makes KDE apps work better in a Gnome environment ?
Doesn't this give us an advantage over Gnome apps, which don't support the
same when running in a KDE environment ?
Could this be also useful for KDE on Mac and Windows ? I.e. do the "places" or
how it is called which appear in finder in the left bar appear in Dolphin or
our file dialog somewhere ? If not, do Norberts patches make this possible ?
I guess there's something similar for Windows ?
Or did I get this completely wrong ?

Don't we usually support such things ? Isn't this similar to the way how we
supported the Gnome start menu layout additionally to our start menu when
there was no spec yet ?

Alex