New System Settings

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Fri May 22 13:08:13 BST 2009

> It was likely this that prevented the crash before.
>
> > Jansen on #kde-devel agreed with me that calling the
> > constructor again is bad. And since it does not unload the plugin.
>
> All I do is create and destroy the KCModuleProxy, which ensures the
> modules destructor is called ( It should anyway... )
> Please see ModuleView::closeModules in systemsettings/core/ModuleView.cpp
> I'm not sure how I can "unload" the plugin.

You changed the behavious how modules are called. All Modules were developed
with the assurance they are never unloaded. All modules were developed with
the assurance load is called to reset them. The destructor would only be
called if systemsettings was closed.

> > So is this a valid issue against the new system settings
> > or i still should try to catch this bug in the kcm module?
>
> None of the other modules are affected, so the bug is likely in the KCM.

I think you should keep that behaviour. We don't know how many bugs are still
out there unnoticed because they don't lead to a crash.

Mike