a strigi bic change

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 07:18:25 GMT 2009

2009/1/13 Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>:
> Now let's say that developer still has strigi < 0.6.3 and this is good enough
> for his project.
> If you increase the minimum supported version of FindStrigi.cmake, his project
> will suddenly not build anymore, because FindStrigi.cmake will abort with an
> error now -> source compatibility broken.
>
> What would be ok would be to abort with an error if version 0.6.2 has been
> found, because if I understood correctly you don't want this version to be
> used by anybody.
Your assumption is that the distribution or the developer know how to
install a good version.
This is a reasonable assumption, I think.

>> I already changed the FindStrigi.cmake. Shall i revert the change?
>
> Yes, please.
Done.

>> > But, isn't it a bit late for that ?
>>
>> Do you mean late in the release cycle?
>
> Yes. RC1 has been tagged and will be released today, and now we require a new
> BIC version of a library.
>
>> What would it matter?
>
> Don't know, I'm just wondering.
The difference is mainly when compiling. Once compiled, there is no
difference between 'char' and 'signed char' on i386 machines. On my
machine, Strigi 0.6.3. works fine with the supplied KDE 4.1. The
problem is when compiling KDE 4.2: it requires the right type in the
header files to compile properly.

Cheers,
Jos