tags/kdesupport-for-4.2

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Jan 3 21:08:45 GMT 2009

On Saturday 03 January 2009, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> 2009/1/3 Tom Albers <tomalbers at kde.nl>:
> > In preparation of the release of 4.2.0, I've created the
> > tags/kdesupport-for-4.2. This tag of kdesupport should be used when you
> > compile the 4.2 branch in the future.  Trunk's version of kdesupport
> > should be used to compile KDE trunk (which would be KDE 4.3.0).
> >
> > At least Akonadi will probably commit some KDE 4.2.x incompatible changes
> > in kdesupport trunk as soon as KDE 4.2 is branched.
> >
> > Request to all kdesupport maintainers: add the version of your software
> > into that tag soon please.
>
> What's the point of this? I would hope KDE 4.2 supports more than one
> version of the packages in kdesupport.

Later on, let's say in 5 years, if you want to build KDE 4.2 for whatever
reasons, you will also need the packages from kdesupport in appropriate
versions. Having the stuff from kdesupport tagged should do it.
(I had problems with this last year when I was trying to build some very old
version of KDE, and failed due to kdesupport).

Alex