liboxygenhelper?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Aug 10 07:13:43 BST 2009

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>On 09.08.09 21:04:50, Sune Vuorela wrote:
>> On 2009-08-09, Tom Albers <toma at kde.org> wrote:
>> > --nextPart40319998.LmhcOLVCHR

>> > Why? It's similar to what akonadi does:
>> > install a libakonadiprivate.so and install headers like
>> > itempayloadinternals_p.h. The naming should provide enough hints to
>> > developers to not use it blindly.
>>
>> akonadi is not part of kdelibs
>> so far, I've been told that akonadiprivate is only named private "to
>> scare off people who don't know what they are doing", not because it
>> isn't keeping a stable abi
>> and I do expect akonadiprivate to use a proper abi stability policy
>> (change major version of soname on BIC changes between releases)
>
>So I guess your problem with library that doesn't keep BC in kdelibs is
>that you might have to change kdelibs name on each release? If thats the
>case, this is basically a "packagers-only" issue and could easily be
>solved by simply splitting out this single lib from kdelibs and
>providing a separate binary package for it. I'm assuming that
>liboxygenhelper plays by the rules and changes its SONAME when breaking
>BC.

The problem is about providing a separate binary package for it. That's
pretty clear.

The problem is about providing a separate *source* package for it. If KDE
doesn't do that, it becomes very difficult for packagers.

The policy we came up for experimental libs solves that, by forcing
separate source releases. If oxygenhelper wants, it can do exactly that.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358