KUniqueApplication/delayed fork trick in KConfig4 (was: Re: trunk)

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Thu Apr 30 03:28:39 BST 2009

> > Am Tuesday 28 April 2009 07:12:09 schrieb Ben Cooksley:
> >> I am using the "show early, finish loading later" trick. I have fixed
> >> the issue now.

I was just curious how much effect this delay trick had on perceived
performance, and I replaced this call (SettingsBase.cpp, line 54)

	QTimer::singleShot(0, this, SLOT(initApplication()));

with a simple

	initApplication();

... and it now starts MUCH faster! Does this have something to do that I run
from Konsole? Is KUniqueApplication getting confused by that trick? I mean,
the application has to be forked somehow, I have no clue how this works
internally, but for me the difference is HUGE (I am using icon view mode).

Anyone experiencing the same difference?

Christoph Feck (kdepepo)