kioslaves and asynchronous kpasswdserver calls

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Apr 20 17:57:52 BST 2009

Em Segunda-feira 20 Abril 2009, às 18:19:49, Michael Leupold escreveu:
> Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Monday 20 of April 2009, Michael Leupold wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I committed a new asynchronous interface for kpasswdserver last week. It
> >> fixes timeout issues if the user doesn't answer the password dialog
> >> within the D-Bus timeout interval.
> >
> >  I must be missing something important, since this is a stupid question:
> >  Why
> > not simply increase the timeout for the D-Bus call?
>
> The D-Bus timeout is limited by the timeout you set on making the call and
> the maximum timeout allowed by the daemon. The current default timeout
> D-Bus ships with is 300s. We can't really influence it as it's up to D-Bus
> and the distributions configuring it.

That's true, but I'd say that the ioslave should give up on the password after
300s. In fact, the application will probably kill it before that.

I know you implemented this type of API to handle the broad use-case in
applications where the timeout could be much higher. But for ioslaves,
especially considering there's an application waiting for it too with
timeouts, I'm not sure this is that useful.

  Senior Product Manager - Nokia, Qt Software
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358