UI files, mass commit?

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Thu Apr 16 22:38:50 BST 2009

Hi,

This is part of my "make KDE respect platform native layout" initiative :)

First, let me announce that kdelibs is now basically free of hard coded layout
values. If you find a dialog/ui/whatever in kdelibs that has odd layout, or
does not respect the values of the platform, please report. See my blog at
http://kdepepo.wordpress.com/ for a way to check.

Now I used a find/sed combo to remove all occurences of layoutfunction,
layoutdefaults, and pixmapfunction occurences in .ui files.

Basically, the diff removes things such as
- <layoutdefault spacing="6" margin="11" />
- <layoutfunction spacing="KDialog::spacingHint"
margin="KDialog::marginHint" />
- <pixmapfunction></pixmapfunction>
- <pixmapfunction>qPixmapFromMimeSource</pixmapfunction>

Regarding the layout values, these prevent layout classes to use the style's
layout values, for example, Oxygen has 4 pixels spacing, 6 pixels margin, and
removing those values from the .ui file makes the application respect those
values. On the other hand, removing these values disrespects the programmers
decision, and if these values had been chosen for a specific reason, that
could potentially be a problem.

Now my questions:

1. If I would ever commit these removals, should this be done as a single
commit for the whole trunk/KDE tree, or as commits for individual modules,
applications, or even single files?

2. Regarding the pixmapfunction, I think this is obsolete with KDE4. Does
anyone know for sure? I see three references to things like
- <pixmapfunction>SmallIcon</pixmapfunction>

3. Objections?

Thanks,
Christoph Feck (kdepepo)