Idea: SkipDirtyOnIdenticalValues WriteConfigFlag for KConfigBase / KConfig

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 10:29:03 BST 2008

El Sábado 14 Junio 2008, Oswald Buddenhagen escribió:
> [hmm, i need to work on my latency these days :)]
>
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 10:46:04AM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> > On Saturday 24 May 2008, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > it will not write a config when the
> > > set value is the same as the default, while it should write the value
> > > explicitly so the effective config does not change when the default
> > > changes.
> >
> > ... and this is exactly why you need a flag, isn't it? :-)
>
> well, no. not the one edulix proposed.
>
> > In some cases you want the effective config to be stored, and in some
> > cases you want to use the default value, even if it changes later.
>
> that's a valid observation, one we made countless times before.  one
> problem with it is that using it gets insanely complex - basically, each
> config ui would need an option "use system setting" (if you just
> hardcode it for some cases, the user will experience "surprises" now and
> then).

I got convinced  by Ossi, ereslibre and others that the flag shouldn't be
implemented and that instead kconfig should always check if the value it's
going to write is the same as the current one before making it dirty. The
patch is nearly ready, but there are two kconfig test cases regression that I
didn't find how to fix and the development of the patch "stalled".

I attach the patch for those with interest on it =) At the moment I'm really
busy with my final exams these days but when I finish them I will try to
finish the work - if someone hasn't done that already :P

Greetings,
          Eduardo Robles Elvira.
depends on the unreasonable man." (George Bernard Shaw)