Idea: SkipDirtyOnIdenticalValues WriteConfigFlag for KConfigBase / KConfig

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 17 23:02:31 BST 2008

Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> for one, i got mixed up with the explicit option to restore (and
> keep) the system default - but that's what revertToDefault() is
> suposed to be for (it's broken - see todo). nobody uses that anyway. :-/

Huh, actually, rereading dfaure's original message, I think that may
have been what he was thinking also. As you notice, I remain unconvinced
it's a good idea :-).

> the use case for the behavior you propose seems to be a normal config
> dialog (without the explicit "use system default" options) whose
> underlying code is too lazy to track whether a user actively changed a
> value.

Oh, possibly :-). At any rate, we really need to fix katepart one of
these days, it's MUCH overzealous in this respect (IIRC it saves colors
even if you never looked at that tab, but changed some other setting).

> i'm not sure such an automation is a good idea, in any interactive
> context.

I think you could effectively argue that. I guess I won't be heartbroken
if your official stance is "don't be lazy and track this yourself".

> more real use cases?

I think the main important thing to do is not set dirty when no change
is made, that just seems like an obvious optimization with no drawbacks.

--
Matthew
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with