kio_giobridge IO slave

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Jan 5 11:17:30 GMT 2008

Vlad Codrea wrote:
>QtCore can *optionally* link to glib, at the expense of slower speed
>due to using a non-native event loop and bloated memory consumption
>due to redundant functionality. It's perfectly OK (and encouraged) to
>compile KDE without Glib support for these reasons.

Read the other email. It's not slower. The glib event loop is no less
native than Qt's. It's written in C and compiled to native machine code.
Where did you get the idea that it's not native?

As for memory consumption, you're right; there's an impact. But if you
don't use anything else from glib, it should be kept to a minimal. The OS
is smart enough to know when to load pages only if needed.

In any case, yes, it's ok to compile without glib support.

>Linking to glib is a choice, and an unwise one at that, because it
>automatically puts KDE at a disadvantage compared to GNOME (GNOME
>needs only its native low-level libs, but KDE would need to use
>GNOME's plus QtCore). Including the kio_giobridge IO slave in kdelibs
>is IMHO unacceptable because it takes away this discretion and forces
>distros and even power users to link to Glib.

This is a weak argument, sorry. Puts us in disadvantage over GNOME? I fail
to buy it. It sounds like NIH Syndrome. And technically speaking glib
isn't part of GNOME (just as Qt isn't part of KDE).

Sorry, but I'll use good technology when I find it. If it links to glib2,
fine, so be it. If it's complex enough, I should be glad that it does
instead of reinventing the wheel and introducing yet more bugs in basic
functionality.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358