decibel and dbus names

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 19 05:27:52 GMT 2008

On Monday 18 February 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Sunday 17 February 2008 15:24:20 Tobias Hunger wrote:
> > Hi Aaron, hello list,
> >
> > It took me a while to notice this message, I'm not (yet) on
> > kde-core-devel.

no time like the present =)

(btw, congrats on getting decibel to this point. i know it's been a long road;
once we get more apps using it, i'm sure you'll find others start helping
out. we already have a Plasma DataEngine submitted for Decibel, with an
AbstractRunner (think: krunner) for Decibel coming! =)

> > You are right: Decibel is using de.basyskom in its D-Bus names. I did not
> > want to intrude into the KDE namespace without permission, so I used ours
> > instead. I asked on IRC a couple of times whether I may use kde.org, but
> > so far did not get a definite reply (yes, I should have asked on the
> > mailing lists).
>
> We have no official policy on using org.kde.* in D-Bus. We should have a
> registry of that and one that matches our DNS subdomains too.

+1 .. where should we keep that registry? techbase or in svn somewhere?

and yes, it is probably good if an application specific address is done with
that app's name... e.g. org.kde.krunner for krunner specific ones (e.g. the
Interface object), and org.kde for kde-wide services (e.g. the screensaver
specializations) and org.freedesktop for the shared ones (e.g. the
screensaver standards) .. (all three examples exist right now in krunner)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se