Qt SVG renderer

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 4 23:34:10 BST 2008

On Monday 04 August 2008, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > That's what I've been told by trolls at lastest akademy, when friendly
> > complaining ;-) with them about the quality of QSvgRenderer.
> > Looks like it's no more the case as WebkitSvg has been said to be too
> > slow, but I'll let some TT internal that knows stuff better than me
> > answer.
>
> There is no plan (for QSvgRenderer) to support anything else than SVG Tiny.

what would be useful is explaining, plainly and openly, *why* this is the
case, even if the answer comes down to "we simply don't have enough reason to
justify investing further in this technology" or "it would be too much work to
do otherwise".

but simply repeating ad nauseum "only support SVG Tiny" is really not helpful
to getting this conversation to a point where there is mutual understanding.

personally, i'm interested in seeing things that aren't really part of SVG
Tiny at all, such as being able to ask "which element is at this point in the
svg", added to the API. this is an absolute *requirement* for doing useful
things like SVG based on screen keyboard, and is completely doable with the
current codebase.

but if there is no appetite to extend QSvgRenderer at all (iow, it's in pure
maintenance mode) then i probably need to know now so i can plan how we will
work with or around QSvgRenderer in plasma.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se