KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/colors

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Sep 15 07:58:37 BST 2007

Hi Matthew,

first thank you for writing an email that opens a dialog, this is still
KDE and you are just as much part of our community as this kde-oldy.
Respect for each others work and opinions comes first. :)

On Saturday 15 September 2007 01:17:08 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> 1. I gave you permission to "change the six lines of code that set the
> defaults", not emasculate the StateEffects ctor making it impossible to
> reasonably change the defaults should we decide to do that in the
> future.

22:36 <ThomasZ> i.e. have you finished the [color inactive]  trial?
22:36 <mwoehlke> sure, I like it :-)
22:37 <ThomasZ> well, wait for the KCM to be finished so the rest of us
don't have to suffer :)
22:38 <mwoehlke> so go check in that change to kcolorscheme.cpp, I'm not
going to get into a pissing contest over it until the artists/u7y people
have spoken
22:38 <mwoehlke> but I also don't particularly care to change it myself
unless that's the decision of the aforementioned groups

Hmm, I'm sorry I don't get you were Ok with only a 6-line change from the
above irc log :(

The point here is; we talked about you introducing alternate colorschemes
for inactive windows in ways that nobody actually uses this, and how I
and many others observed that they are a bad idea.
The fact that you like them to the extend you would  a) ok me changing it
and  b) revert it 30 seconds after I commit well, thats just not how we
do things in KDE.
Point in fact; the colors stuff is not your part of the KDE svn that you
rule in and can ignore everybodies opinion about.

> So... do you mind not massively editing my code just to make it less
> flexible?

Yes, I mind.
The code you want in there is to make all the widgets have a different
color when the window is inactive.  This is broken by design and KDE
should not provide a default that does this. (in fact, with the change I
made this is still done and still wrong, but at least its a step in the
right direction)
The Inactive mode is only so things like the selection color or the
highlight color can change for inactive windows.
Please go back to the original thread and see what people say and listen a
bit more to what people think about this.

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but we care more about people and
the community as a whole then about a particular great piece of code. I
felt pretty sad because of your behavior last night and I honestly hope
we will not see a repeat of such a way of working.

Thank you for listening :)
--
Thomas Zander