[patch] Re: kconfiggroup template 'mess'

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Oct 26 09:30:08 BST 2007

Em Thursday 25 October 2007 21:29:41 Oswald Buddenhagen escreveu:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 09:21:31PM +0200, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> > Oswald Buddenhagen said the following, On 2007-10-25 19:24:
> >>
> >> i'm not impressed. major ugliness as a tribute to redmond.
> >
> > As Thiago and then I have mentioned - template/nontemplate versions of
> > function (here: readEntry/writeEntry) cannot be mixed.
>
> you just reiterated the same statement which is have already
> demonstrated wrong in this broadness. be more specific, dude. which
> overloads are causing which problems? which seem to be explicitly ok?
>
> > So the cause for problems is that the functions commited by Thomas
> > Braxton are too much overloaded. The code worked well many years until
> > last week - what means to me bigger change before freeze.
>
> for starters, thomas introduced templates into kconfig at a very early
> stage of kde4, and it seems to have worked for you for more than a year.
> work with that.

I didn't say that the overloading of templates with non-templates is the
problem. I even know for a fact that older Microsoft compilers (VC6) can have
them too (provided you put the template argument somewhere in the argument
list).

But I did recommend splitting the template vs non-template names, as a way of
cleaning up the code and trying to find out why the Microsoft compilers were
getting internal errors.

It was a wild guess, but if it makes the code more readable and compiles, I'm
all for it.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358