KConfig/KLockFile performance (was KMimeType performance)

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Oct 9 22:11:52 BST 2007

Matthew Woehlke schrieb:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> [1] AFAIK, you can't rename or delete a file that is open and/or in
>> use on Windows.
>
> Well... you can, but it's ugly. (I think rename may be OK, delete...
> basically you have to rename it "out of the way" and delete it later.
> Cygwin folks know how to do it if we have to copy them.)

Yes, from http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-02/msg00706.html

"... There's no magic, there's no getting around the basic paradigm
of windows filesystems that require that all outstanding handles
of a file be closed before it can be deleted."

and relating to overwriting in use files

"... For one thing, the file replacement issue is nowhere near
as simplistic as you make it out.  "In use replacement" under windows
amounts to placing an entry in the registry telling the system to move
file A to file B upon next restart, and then put a copy of the updated
in-use file at location A and prompt for a reboot."

Ralf