Using StyleSheets is bad WAS Re: Konqueror lineedit Bug

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Nov 26 18:38:46 GMT 2007

On Sunday 25 of November 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 November 2007 16:00:23 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > And that
> > was half a year ago. Is it really that strange the commit for the
> > workaround had "I hate the idiotic useless qt-bugs@ blackhole." as the
> > message?
>
> I visited the dot today and saw this great quote from Matthias;
>   "Ok guys, I'll implement focus-follows-mind next time and ship a magic
> patch."
>
> I felt the same way when I read Lubos' mail. I think its a bit much to get
> upset about this when there actually have not been any releases of Qt
> anyway.

 There haven't been any releases of Qt in the timespan of those at least five
yours I've been sending patches to qt-bugs? (That's a rhetorical question -
who says I've developed the hate for qt-bugs just because of one issue?)

> You know how it is, busy times, lots of work. I guess you know better
> since I still am hopeful you will reply to my repeated mails on this list
> about the width-for-height solution Qt and KDE needs in the window
> manager. :)

 I have. I said that I currently don't see that worth it as long as nobody has
tried just getting a reasonable size in Qt. BTW, this, or your last mail
including forward of your previous mail to which I had already replied, show
how issue trackers can be useful. Another reason why qt-bugs, unlike
kde-core-devel not even having an archive, is so frustrating.

> And, to conclude, I'll just repeat what I have been saying quite often;
> when you think the report doesn't get the right treatment, just talk to
> one of the KDE-Troll people.
> A friendly mail stating why this is a problem for KDE tends to have good
> results to give it the priority that it deserves.

 Bah. So I should just do this for every one of them, just in case? Since I
don't know if my reports do or don't get the right treatment - I often just
don't know anything (and, if I get really unlucky, I find out several
releases later my patch is in, and is broken). If that gets better, fine. For
now, qt-copy patches was an unexpectedly good idea.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz