Moving Svgpart to kdegraphics

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Sun Nov 25 14:32:18 GMT 2007

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

> On Sunday 25 November 2007 00:05, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I created a simple KPart to display SVG images. It's in
>> playground/graphics/svgpart. Would it be ok to move it to kdegraphics now
>> or am I really too late?
>>
>> I need this KPart to be able to display SVG images in Gwenview, but it's
>> also useful from within Konqueror, that's why I haven't bundled it inside
>> Gwenview code.
>>
>> If it's too late, I'll just disable SVG browsing in Gwenview for now.
>>
> How does it compare to the old KSVG and KSVG2, where they never ported to
> KDE4?

Both KSVG from KDE3 and QSvgRenderer (the engine used in Svgpart) have
trouble rendering complex images. I didn't do any serious comparison
though, so I can't tell you which engine is better. The definitive solution
is webkit, think of Svgpart as an interim one.

On the UI side, Svgpart is a bit nicer than the KSVG part: it does not
provide buttons to display debug info and more importantly, it lets the
user scroll the view (The KSVG part did not provide any scrollbar)

Aurélien