kde vs. locales

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Nov 25 04:07:21 GMT 2007

Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>about the above problem, do you think we should simply ignore it and
>drop support for "hot switching"? gnome seems to do without, anyway.
>and the fine granularity (e.g., number formats, etc.). drop too?

My suggestion is to make KDE use the LC_* environment variables as
defaults and make kcontrol write ~/.i18n with the settings there too.

But, if the user modifies the locale's formats, then ignore the locale and
apply the user settings. This will make KDE differ from everyone else --
but we can argue that it's the other applications that are not following
the user's choice. We can and should make the fine-grained setting public
somewhere in the user's configuration to other, non-KDE applications.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358