kwin default window button order.

Diego Iastrubni elcuco at kde.org
Thu Nov 15 16:06:05 GMT 2007

On Thursday 15 November 2007 01:04:35 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all ...
>
> something that i've been wanting to see happen for a while is our window
> button order modified a bit. in particular, the defaults would be changed
> to "maximize, minimize, sticky, spacer*2, help, menu" on the left and
> "close" on the right.

Which brings me to a new question...

While hacking on KDE 3.0.0 beta2, I fixed the windows decoration to be reverse
the layout of the frames. Before, on alpha and beta1 the close button was on
the left for Hebrew/Arabic desktops.

I hacked (I think it was me...) the code of all window decorations, to reverse
the layout (in Qt3 there is no way to set the direction of a layout), so even
on RTL desktops the close button is on the right. This leads to the system
menu to look akward, since it's left alftgned on a right-aligned environment.

I personally think that close location is a question of desktop (windows?
mac?) and not of language. I know that the close button on the left of
Hebrew enabled windows desktops is very confusing (1), and thus I would like
to keep it "always" on the right.

What do you think?

(1) actally it's even lamer, since Hebrew applications will have the close
button on the left, and English based applications will have it on the right.
Yes, on the same desktop I cannot even know where to click to close a window.