libkdeprint

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sat Nov 3 16:08:48 GMT 2007

Alex Merry wrote:
> On Saturday 03 Nov 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> Hmm, can't you just check wether lp exists and use that for printing
>> to CUPS? That probably means changing a few options from lpr, but
>> that one will always exist if a cups client is installed. And if you
>> can't find it use lpr without cups options.
>
> lp is a System V / Solaris command as well.  Does that affect using it
> to check for CUPS?

CUPS' client print commands were designed as drop-in replacements for
the legacy lpr (BSD printing) and lp (System V printing) commands.

If you check for the commands, you'd want to check if they indeed are
the CUPS ones (by looking at what lib they link to).

I still think it is better to use something like "cupsdoprint" in KDE3
than directly using the commandline print commands.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS