What to do about KColor?

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed May 30 16:11:44 BST 2007

Hi Matthew!

Am Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2007 16:47:07 schrieb Matthew Woehlke:
> It seemed to me that several people expected that. It's also what you do
> when making bands in gradients.
>
> > IMO, the term "blending" refers to alpha blending only, which is a
> > specific type of "overlay[ing]" (cf. OverlayMode).
>
> I suggested providing both. I would be happy to have:
>    mix[Colors](QColor,QColor,<amount>)
> - and -
>    overlay[Colors](QColor,QColor,<composite mode>)
>
> I guess that's more clear than either being named 'blend'?

Yes, I would vote for exactly the two signatures above. :-)

Plus, the more developer-friendly high-level color creation functions that are
still TODO, e.g. tintedTextColor(widget, tinting) where widget (or
palette, ...) would be used to fetch the normal, untinted fg/bg colors.
Let's see how applications actually use the mix/overlay functions, then
extract higher level functions if there are good ones (i.e. algorithms that
work with most user-specified palettes, which AFAICS is almost impossible..).

Is e.g. support for bright-on-dark color schemes intended?  (I remember that
someone once wrote "it is impossible to do right anyhow", but hopefully we
can and will try to do our best.)  Oh, and then there are styles/themes with
pixmaps as backgrounds (ouch!)..

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS