blendColor that doesn't need additional setup code

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue May 29 08:23:49 BST 2007

On Tuesday 29 May 2007 02:28:09 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> does that make sense? =)

Well, it confirms quite well what I said a couple of days ago;
Ingo, you and Andreas all have different solutions for what to do with the
alpha channel.
Ingo even had an if/then solution in there to make the blending behave
conceptually different depending on wheather there is an alpha channel
set at all.

Now, I don't mean to be rude and I don't mean to cut off well meant
energy, but I really like to have people wait this one out for, say, a
month to get our bearings and get various real life examples written.
With real use cases and code we can then look at those and quite probably
we can come up with a concept of "what should it do" that are a bit more
aligned then our opinions are now.

For the record; I'm certainly not against changing the signature, never
have been. I just think that currently we are practicing design by
committee and that just doesn't give you results that are good enough.
So, bottom line, its very very likely that we will change the signature on
that new method soon (I hope that the release team doesn't have a problem
with it ;)
And lacking any colors experts that are great at designing APIs at the
same time, lets first figure out a diverse enough set of usecases before
we do so, to make an informed decision.

Can everyone live with that?

Thanks.
--