KDE and smartcard support

Alon Bar-Lev alon.barlev at gmail.com
Wed May 23 00:28:10 BST 2007

On 5/23/07, George Staikos <staikos at kde.org> wrote:

> Look, if this whole thing is not about smartcards but instead a
> backhanded way to get us to give a blind blessing to throwing away
> the code that's there and using QCA, you're just wasting all our
> time.  This is now the 12th email I've written in the past 24 hours
> on the topic, and I intend it to be my last.  Follow the KDE approach
> and the answer will be clear:
>
> 1) Use Qt where possible
> 2) Keep KDELibs to a minimum
> 3) Define interfaces, then implement
> 4) don't force code onto people
> 5) Follow policies implemented in kdelibs and our guidelines

OK I cannot argue with this one...

However, I think you forgot the most important rule:

0) Provide application that follow user requirements.

So I guess there is no more to be said...

We should let of our dream of proper cryptography in KDE since
Trolltech does not supply a proper cryptography and I understand now
that KDE is all about Trolltech.

Thank you for your time.
Alon Bar-Lev.