Access keys

Tobias G. Pfeiffer tgpfeiffer at web.de
Thu Mar 29 15:37:55 BST 2007

Hi!

On Thursday 29 March 2007, 11:09, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> Initialisation: Alt-Shift-Space instead of Ctrl
> Direct call of a (known) access key: Alt-Shift-<key>

Alt-Shift? Maybe this is only my problem, but when I press Alt with my thumb
and Shift with my ring finger, I have no finger left on the left hand to
press Space, which I think is very annoying. I can press Alt-Shift-Q fine and
Alt-Shift-W (this is a German keyboard, but these things should be the same
on most layouts). Of course, there are *always* key combinations for which
you need two hands, but I think the "core functionality" of displaying the
shortcuts should reachable with only one hand. What about Ctrl-Shift-Space to
initialise? Is that taken by any other command?
I know maybe my argumentation may seem ridiculous, but that's really annoying
for me if I have shortcuts that are complicated to reach. For example, to
get '{', I have to press AltGr+7, which is a) of course not KDE's fault, but
just a horrible standard German keyboard layout and b) kills my hand and
costs time.

> Important links may be Next/Previous, page numbers,
> Continue, Home, ... They should be preferred and get meaningful access keys
> (e.g. N for Next, 1 for page 1, etc).

ACK. Maybe it is possible to sort by font size (so more important links get
their keys first) and then by first letter before the letters are distributed
on the links.

> If there are more than 26 links, two characters should be used (AA, AB).

If you do so, then you will need two characters for *every* link. Maybe with a
better distribution of access keys to links, it is possible to just leave the
rest without. Or use different capitalization.

Bye
Tobias

--
follow the penguin...