KMessageBox customizable cancel button

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Mar 28 22:48:18 BST 2007

Ok, I really need some advice on how to proceed with this.

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 12:05, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> I think that this is a feature usefull to have.

It's not the first time I've heard that.

> An API which maybe could be nice would be
>
> KMessageBox box(
>          KMessageBox::YesNoCancel, "Message", "caption",
> "dontaskagainsave"); box.setYesButton( i18n("Save") );
> box.setNoButton( i18n("Discard") );
> box.setCancelButton( i18n("Don't quit") );
> int result = box.exec();

Well, that's an entirely different beast. And in fact, while *adding* this
sort of API should be pretty easy, and possible even after KDE4, *changing*
it would be an enormous task, indeed. One that I certainly won't have the
time to undertake.

So, here are two specific questions:
1) Setting aside, whether my patch is fully correct, technically, is it
wanted? Or does somebody want to have a go at a different API as outlined by
Olivier?

2) If it is wanted, how should I proceed in getting it into KDE 4? Note that
this is *not* the first time, I'm submitting this. Each time to update the
patch to all the changes in SVN takes me several hours (due to the need to
recompile *everything*, just to detect and fix up the two or three
conflicts/new places that need fixing). So while maintaining the patch may be
trivial, it's still a considerable effort, and I admit, I'm starting to get a
bit frustrated.

I'm willing to update the patch roughly *once* more, but before I do so, I'd
like to be reasonably certain, that it actually gets applied this time. So
how should I go about to achieve this?

> So I have nothing to say about your patch (which seems ok, but i have not
> reviewed all details)

Thanks for taking a look.

Regards
Thomas