Improved character selector

Daniel Laidig d.laidig at gmx.de
Mon Mar 26 22:09:20 BST 2007

On Monday 26 March 2007 19:10, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 26 March 2007 19:05, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > Le lundi 26 mars 2007, Thomas Zander a écrit :
> > > Being able to select characters without installing kdeutils is pretty
> > > important for KOffice. I'd like to see you a simple UI in kdelibs that
> > > uses a plugin interface to find more advanced functionality, like the
> > > panel on the right in your screenshot.
> >
> > Maybe in kdebase then.
> > But i don't see why users of KOffice may not install kdeutils if they
> > want additional features.
>
> My point was that this is pretty basic functionality that I don't think
> falls in the category of 'additional feature'.
> Also moving something out of kdelibs because it is too big sounds like the
> wrong solution. Which is why I suggested that the thing that makes it big
> is considered that 'additional feature' which can be moved to another
> module.

So then, I think I'll stick to the original plan making just the data a plugin
and leaving everything in kdelibs. I don't think that it's worth having just
some of the data in kdeutils as a plugin. KCharSelect can't really live
without the data files as it uses them for the categories/blocks.

If the data is just loaded on access, I think/hope it will be fine.