[RFC] KDE 4.0 Release Roadmap

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Mar 14 21:16:58 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 2:39:26 pm Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 14, 2007, Allen Winter wrote:
> > Hereby we, the Release Team, present a draft KDE 4.0 Release roadmap which
>
> thanks for getting this put together, RT, and thank you allen for taking the
> lead in posting it here for discussion =)

You're welcome.  As I told frerich yesterday: I am a stupid, stupid person :)

> it makes it very hard for me to avoid the temptation to ask for one week where
> libs is generally open for a last-go reworking to catch remaining issues. we
> only have mondays, really, to commit which sort of limits the # of things
> that can happen. a "kdelibs week" drive could be great to shore up final
> issues, perhaps in early april?

I was discussing this with thiago earlier today.  I thought we could
do away with bic mondays after the 1 May freeze.  But tronical and thiago
thought otherwise.

Even still,  I think the idea of a "kdelibs week" is good.
The purpose is to polish and shore up final issues.
I'll add it to the plan.

> on the other hand, with my app dev hat on, i say "suck it up, libs people."
> which makes my inner libs committer weep. =)

1 May -> late October is for apps humping.
Now -> 1 May is for libs

> but yeah, i really like the schedule. it is, as you note, optimistic and
> aggressive, but we need that right now imho.

Yep, what's the worst that can happen?  :)

> could we also add a usability review period in there somewhere? somewhere
> between feature freeze and beta? perhaps even in tandem with the feature
> freeze?
>
> this only gives a month for the review due to the string freeze, which is
> pretty short.

How about starting the usability review period  on 8 May?
Starting in May, people should be concentrating on apps anyway, right?
With the string freeze on 25 June, that gives us ~6weeks of usability review.
Still seems like a short time.  Maybe we should add a couple weeks to
the start of the beta cycle??

> also, defining what constitutes a new feature for the feature freeze might be
> nice. i've already had to answer that one once for the kdegames people who
> became very concerned that there was no way they could get the svg work ready
> by June 1 in every app and that some games would, realistically, start the
> svg'izing after june 1. having until the end of june for that kind of work
> would probably help them quite a bit, and it's an odd sort of work: it's not
> really a new feature in the sense of gameplay, but it is new code and they
> have a goal to not ship apps that aren't svg-ized.

To me, a new feature means that the program provides some non-trivial
new capability.  Using svg instead of png isn't a new feature IMO.

-Allen

--
KDEPIM Developer
I accept PayPal payments to awinterz at earthlink.net