[RFC] KInformationLabel

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Mon Mar 12 08:15:03 GMT 2007

On Monday 12 March 2007 03:17:41 Michaël Larouche wrote:
> Le March 3, 2007 12:56, Michaël Larouche a écrit :
> > I have been working (slowy) on a new widget for kdelibs.
> >
> > It is a small label to display message in a dialog. The label is first
> > hidden when instancied and only show up when a message is affected to the
> > label. This is similiar to the ErrorNotifier control in Windows Forms.
> > This widget will be useful to replace message box in dialog like Ask
> > Password dialog and other non-modal dialogs.
> >
> > This is a work in progress of course and not all planned features are not
> > implemented. I would like to add a autohide timeout to the widget. I
> > tried to add FadeIn animation.
> >
> > I would like comments and suggestion about for this widget.
>
> Here a updated patch ready to be comitted on tomorrow (kdelibs breakage)

Looks okay to me. Here's some more feedback on the API:

* I suggest to replace setIconName(const QString &name) with just a second
setIcon overload that takes a QIcon. It's nice if a property called "icon"
also takes the native icon type :)

* I also wouldn't make setIcon a slot. I've never seen a signal that emits an
icon :)

* I suggest to rename the timeout property (what's a timeout a label?) to
autoHideTimeout (aha!).

And of course the obligatory question for kdelibs inclusion at the end: Which
applications are using this widget (either at the moment or in the near
future)?

Simon