'strict' color mode?

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Thu Jun 21 23:09:54 BST 2007

Hi Aaron!

[ Aaron J. Seigo, Do., 21. Jun. 2007 ]
> > 4. Many applications have default background images that do not work with
> > light-on-black colour schemes. These applications must hide those
> > background images if KCS is in "strict" mode. Again, it is allowed to
> > override the KCS colour with application-specific non-default settings.
> >
> > You objection makes #4 impossible, so I hope you withdraw your objection.
>
> this is indeed an issue and a much easier one to solve/address than
> colours. so let me ammend my objection:
>
> i'm fine with using it for background control, but stand by the idea that
> we should not try and get applications to use it for colour settings
> internally but instead encourage/require apps to adopt KCS and put all the
> colour relevant logic in there instead between now and 4.[12].

Then we are in full agreement. My goal was always to move all application
colour configuration to central classes that handle everything comfortably
and reliably.

And you have convinced me that "KColorScheme::strict()" is a bad name.
How about naming it "KColorScheme::noBackgroundImagesByDefault()"
or "KColorScheme::defaultToPlainBackground()"?

In the user interface, we would still name it
"Strict Mode: Only use these colors by default" (which is the result of very
long usability discussions).

Olaf