Color roles, coming this Monday to kdelibs?

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Thu Jun 7 15:39:35 BST 2007

Le jeudi 7 juin 2007, Olaf Schmidt a écrit :
> [ Matthew Woehlke, Do., 7. Jun. 2007 ]
>
> > Thanks for the feedback. I'm aware of Oliver's code, but I haven't had
> > time to look at it closely. What's on the table is basically a straight
> > implementation of Olaf's document which is the latest thing I'm aware of
> > that came out of the usability people. I'm inclined to say that we
> > should stick with the fully standardized implementation, since it
> > discourages proliferation of application-specific roles. The good part
> > is that new roles can be added in a BC manner if we decide it's
> > warranted.
>
> When Oliver showed me his work at aKademy I had the impression that we has
> mainly working on the user interface for setting these additional colours.
> If I this is correct, then his work would be complimental to your code, but
> my understanding might be wrong.
>
> Anyway, a thousand thanks to both of you for coding this!

Yes, what I developed is mainly a way for applications to use colors that can
be configurable per application, but which inherit from one of the basic set
of color. And to give an unified interface for editing colors.

Matthew's patch doesn't seems to let configure the colors role per
applications.  But never mind, this can be added in KDE 4.1. (This will
require an API change, but is IMO possible without breaking the
compatibility)