KDE development with git

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Wed Jul 11 16:13:34 BST 2007

On mercoledì 11 luglio 2007, Paolo Capriotti wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2007 16:41:01 Tim Beaulen wrote:
> > On 7/11/07, Paolo Capriotti <p.capriotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Git encourages a development model where many branches are created,
> > > features are developed out of the main line, and then merged back to
> > > the master branch. This is something which is hardly possible with
> > > svn (and impossible, if one wants to keep some of the branches
> > > private), but IMHO highly desirable for many KDE projects.
> >
> > And if I remember it correctly, this was one of the main reasons for
> > the switch from cvs to svn.
> >
> > I don't understand the "hardly possible" bit as it is very easy to
> > create branches and merge them back. In fact, this is done a lot in
> > KDE.
>
> Of course it can be done, but there are many drawbacks:
> - If you start to develop a new feature, often you have no idea how long
> that will take, and for the whole duration of the process, you have a
> working copy which does not build, so you cannot commit. Keeping all
> changes unversioned in your private sandbox is IMHO quite dangerous, and
> limits the usefulness of the VCS.

Well, that's why branches exist. You don't the requrement to have  private
branches that compiles, although it's good to have stuff at least build
before committing.
It's best to keep branches short-lived, though, if people are working on
both the branch and trunk, since at the moment merging can be quite labour
intensive.

Ciao,
Luciano

--