Requiring CMake 2.4.5 ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jan 29 16:54:32 GMT 2007

On Sunday 28 January 2007 23:13, you wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2007, at 4:00 PM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > since september we are requiring CMake 2.4.3.
> > The current release is 2.4.6.
> > E.g. Kubuntu Edge Eft and I think SUSE 10.2 too ship with CMake 2.4.3.
> >
> > With 2.4.5 we would have the possibility to make building the
> > testcases more
> > comfortable (i.e. not built by default but the target to build them
> > manually
> > is always there, so you can just build them).
> >
> > For this we would need to raise the required version of CMake to at
> > least
> > 2.4.5.
> >
> > If there are no objections, I'll do this in two weeks.
> >
> > Bye
> > Alex
>
> Just make the change on monday like we do with kdelibs BIC and be
> done with it. What do we wait two weeks for?

For instance because of posts like this:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=115571181320737&w=2
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-buildsystem&m=116644624732719&w=2

> On Monday, 1. May 2006 21:02, you wrote:
> > cmake 2.4.1 beta has been released and is now required for building
> > kdelibs trunk (this is the first required update since cmake 2.3.4, march
> > 19th).
> ARGH. could you please announce requirements updates a bit before they're
> actually required?
> I'm not very happy with having to ask the coverity guys update their cmake
> in a weekly turnus.
>
> Dirk (Mueller)

I don't want to break the build of KDE for our developers. I always *hate* it
if I want to compile something and notice any of the dependencies has changed
and I have to start from scratch again.
That said I won't increase the required minimum version without at least two
weeks warning period.
Especially if it's "only" for increased performance and not because something
doesn't work.

I'll have a closer look at the issue later today. Maybe we can do it
compatible with 2.4.3.

Bye
Alex