Integrating Gwenview in kdegraphics?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Jan 18 23:58:18 GMT 2007

On Thursday 18 January 2007 19:26, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 9:58, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > Of course I won't claim to have an objective view, but I think it would
> > be better to have only Gwenview, if I can make sure it provide all the
> > features Kuickshow provide and can be as fast as Kuickshow (I like
> > challenges! :-) )
>
> imho, speed is indeed one of the two important things that could be
> improved in gwenview. however, i don't think features are a problem =)

 Ok, let me say this more explicitly. I can read that "could be" in two
ways, "it would be nice if" and "should be". There's no argument about the
sooner, the latter is worse. I've spent quite some time optimizing Gwenview
and there are quite some sophisticated (read:complicated) pieces of code as a
result of that. For an image viewer that has non-blocking UI, incremental
challenge to be also blazingly fast and I don't think Gwenview is that bad or
that there is something that is slow. While there still should be some areas
where it could be improved, you simply can't beat simple things when it comes
to raw speed. So if current Gwenview performance is not deemed to be
acceptable, I suggest considering the option of staying with something that
just loads the image, shows it and doesn't bother with much more. You can't
have it all, simple as that. KWrite will also never be as fast as KEdit.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz