Moving kdeeduplot to kdelibs

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jan 10 10:10:55 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 10:56, Thomas Zander wrote:

> As almost everything in Krita is plugin based, and we are seeing more and
> more of these code sharing ideas (good!) require inter module dependencies
> (bad). I was wondering if it was useful to have this is a separate module
> which depends on both koffice and kdeedu. And maybe other ones.
> With good configure checks and the policy that it will only depend on
> things in trunk/KDE or trunk/koffice it might be a better long term
> solution.

Brrr. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. The interdependencies will be
way beyond the capabilities of distributions to handle.

Instead of having extra libraries that depend on multiple modules (like
koffice and kdeedu), we'd do better to extract the libraries from koffice
(like pigment) that would be useful to apps outside koffice and the libraries
from kdeedu that would be useful to apps outside edu -- and so on, digikam
hsa a couple of useful libraries as well -- and make those libraries, like
kdepimlibs, only depend on kdelibs, not on their ancestral modules.

Then any application from any module can have an optional or required
dependency on any of these extra libraries.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi