kuiserver future (to gui or not to gui)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 10:47:25 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know plasma is being formed these days. Now that I will give some love to
> kuiserver (and some other things) because I have free time again I would
> like to know if my "future idea" for kuiserver is somehow good or not.
>
> For better integration into the desktop, David suggested me to use a QTimer
> for controlling when progresses dialog is shown or not. It can work, for
> now. I think it could be interesting having the "kuiserver" as a non-gui
> application, that is just running with a dbus interface. Applications will
> communicate with this interface, that will store the state of the different
> jobs (like right now, but with no KMainWindow).
>
> This way, we could write in the future a plasma plugin (plasmoid) that makes
> calls and receives signals to/from the kuiserver itself. I think this way we
> can integrate this even better into the desktop.

Why should that be separated? The UI server is whatever UI is best for progress information.
If/when plasma exists, kuiserver itself could become a plasma plugin, I don't see the need
for an extra level of indirection and communication (app -> kuiserver -> plasmoid).
Just let kuiserver be the plasmoid itself.